Friday 19 July 2013

Ines gloves in history: the symbolism of my where are my fingers gloves

Throughout history, gloves have meant much more than an article of clothing or a means of keeping your hands warm.


Up until the early 20th century, long sleeves (such as those worn above) functioned as "gloves" to keep the hands warm in many cultures... very similar to Ines' my where are my fingers gloves!


Sleeves were also used to protect the hands when carrying hot pots...


So, the next time you have a dinner party and need to take that hot roasting pan out of the oven, I probably wouldn't recommend using my where are my fingers gloves... perhaps simply stick to using oven mitts and save your Ines gloves for making a fashion statement instead of a baking statement! Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics